Sunday Swoon. September 30th
Salty beer, magicians, batshit ice skaters and dancing my socks off…
1. This has felt like one of this years eagerly anticipated albums for me personally. From the moment I heard the heartbreak in Scar “remember how lovely we were” sang like a sigh, choking back that lump in your throat when you’re trying to be brave. Lucy Rose, Like I Used To is another contender for album of the year.
2. Another book devoured in record-breaking reading time. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern was easy to get utterly lost in. What is a simple and magical fairytale is elevated to something wondrous and that’s all down to the authors intricate imagination and way with words.
3. Adore this video by Emily Kai Bock for Yet Again by Grizzly Bear released this week. Who doesn’t want to see an ice skater go batshit to the soundtrack of a brilliant song.
4. I’m not sure why I’ve never put Wahaca on this blog before, I think I perhaps take them for granted as I probably eat here the most in London. Everything tastes like it’s been plucked fresh straight from the ground seconds before it reaches your plate, the chillies a good balance of smoky hot and Modelo Negra beer served chelada style (fresh lime juice with a salt rim on the glass) is a refreshing kick.
5. So last night I danced my socks off to Hot Chip at the Roundhouse with my friend Lucy and we ended up being responsible adults for two young girls down there who chanced it and didn’t know who Hot Chip were. I vaguely recall giving them a stern lecture about liking Chris Brown but having faith in their future when they burst into song during their nifty cover of Fleetwood Mac’s Everywhere. Anyway, in the words of one of the girls “I like the beats”