Sunday Swoon. July 29th
Searching for Sugar Man, swimming pools and our new hero….
1. Before Friday I was mainly ambivalent about the London Olympics, and like a lot of Londoner’s was more concerned with transport failing and being stopped every five yards to be asked for directions to [insert any old landmark here]. Danny Boyle has not only dashed my sport cynicism to the train tracks but made me feel so very proud to be British. Frankly, not something I have felt for a long time. The opening ceremony was utterly bonkers, quirky and bat shit wonderful. I, along with a ton of people, shed a few tears during this historic moment. To him and all involved I am truly indebted, thank you!
“This will be about us, and if some people don’t get it that’s fine. That’s what we’re like”
– Danny Boyle
Fact: Emeli Sande sang the hymn Abide With Me which was wrote by the Reverent Lyte, penned in the little town of my birth Brixham.
2. The almost eerily beautiful Bat For Lashes returned with this heart cracking sad song this week. Such a woeful song with an equally saddening video for Laura. Stunning and has me almost holding my breath when I listen to it, and I’m never sure whether to cry or feel lifted by it. Strange but joyful quality.
3. Earlier this week I took my first literal plunge into a self-imposed challenge to swim all of London Lido’s over the next few weeks. Blog post here if you missed it. In love with swimming again.
4. This week I fell in love, new music to my ears from a very old musician in Searching For Sugar Man. Such a moving documentary, made me cry, laugh, smile and shake my head in baffled disbelief. A musical fairytale. Any music lover, regardless of taste in tunes, will connect with this film immediately. Seek it out.
5. Another skill, brill and ace video from Hot Chip demonstrating their playful randomness to end this post on, released this week for their single How Do You Do? ♥
**Follow me on Twitter here***