October 24th Mixtape
The plan was to have a rest from blogging my Mixtapes this weekend and instead bring you the wonder of The Minotaur exhibition under The Old Vic Arches. However, I idiotically deleted the most beautiful photography Lolita & I have ever created together and spent yesterday in a fit of EMO rage over it. Once the tantrum (at myself, which is a very tragic and unfulfilling type of tantrum) subsided he convinced me we should go back and start again. So, that review will happen eventually.
For now you just have to stick the headphones on and listen to a few songs instead. If I had to choose just one of the tracks worthy of your time and attention from the list below I’d urge you to play Sissy & The Blisters. I reviewed them for Flush The Fashion last week and was instantly in love.
1. The Stone Roses – Sally Cinnamon (I thought I’d feel something deep in the pit of my stomach this week when the reunion was announced. I guess this is the curse of the media age, there are no surprises anymore. By the time the press conference was announced it was common knowledge. I was 10 when this song came out, I still maintain it to be the most perfect love story ever told in a song, the twist at the end… perfect).
2. Driver Drive Faster – They May Talk (I spoke to the lead singer quickly last week, he’s from Torquay. His first sentence when I told him that’s where I went to school was “Have you seen the Metronomy video?”. Its how strangers from The English Riviera greet one another now).
3. War On Drugs – Baby Missiles (Hadn’t really paid attention to this band until I heard this track so I’ll have a nosey around their material now, this could be the track that leads me into them).
4. Wild Beasts – Reach A Little Bit Further (I haven’t met anyone who has a bad word to say about Smother. This track really stands out for me personally).
5. Van Morrison – Moondance (Vintage Van. If you’ve never given him the time of day this should change your mind).
6. Disco Zombies – Drums Over London (I played this on the way home from the Bull & Gate on Thursday. I was on a bit of a music high and ended up walking about with the foxes for a bit before going home. Literally. Every street I wandered down foxes appeared from the shadows).
7. The Jim Jones Revue – Princess & The Frog (This was the first song I reached for this morning when I was having trouble waking up properly and feeling a Monday grump).
8. Sissy & The Blisters – You Girl (Dirty, moody, sneering. My new favourite band).
9. Friends – I’m His Girl (I am obsessed with this track at the moment, every time I hear it I want to put on hi-tops and trash gold. I own neither thankfully as I’d look utterly ridiculous).
10. La Shark – A Weapon (Firstly I’m a sucker for French electro pop so their name alone made my ears prick up, I still daydream of Le Tigre. This bunch are from SE London though, they don’t sound like they are. They sound French. I’m adding them to my daydreams).