August 7th Mixtape
I’ve been on a strange high since last weekend spent at Hackney Wicked. I felt like I had some sort of grubby rebirth last Monday morning as I wiped the sleep from my eyes, the notes I’d scrawled to myself in the early hours, full of ideas, coming into focus. Seeing people committed to their art and community with such devotion felt like I was let in on a precious secret. As a result I’ve spent the week writing, lining up reviews for independent music sites, sketching, photographing. The walls in my room now resemble a sociopathic obsession, scraps of ideas pinned up so I’m constantly reminded.
My Hackney High resulted in me telling my Dad I wanted to quite my job and go live in a Warehouse. Over the weekend my dear friend & I repeatedly vowed we needed to stay there, we needed to stick it to the man. Of course when the rum & ginger ran out we crawled back, but the feeling it gave me has stayed and I am determined to keep it safe.
I’m not sure I know any other place in London where you’d be left smiling & laughing after washing your hands in a squat with a bar of soap littered with pubic hair… that my friends is something magical. ♥
- Prince – I Wanna Be Your Lover
- St Etienne – Only Love Can Break Your Heart
- Patrick Wolf – Together
- The Maccabees – Young Lions
- Bombay Bicycle Club – Shuffle
- The Duke Spirit – Love Is An Unfamiliar Name
- Jenny & Johnny – Big Wave
- The Flaming Lips – Waitin’ For A Superman
- Beck – Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometimes
- Scott Walker – Black Sheep Boy